11.8.08

The Dark Knight ............. & the Olympics


We finally went to see The Dark Knight yesterday. Expectations were high because of the ratings I've seen on imdb for this movie. I was eager to see the gorgeous & talented Christian Bale as Batman and he did not disappoint. Ever since I saw Equilibrium, I've wanted to watch any movie that he's in. A couple things I thought were kind of funny - batman's voice - so deep and weird, and the makeup that they used for 2 face. I didn't realize that you could speak so well even if half of your mouth is missing. Not to mention the big eyeball with no eyelid. That thing would be all dry and crusty - it would not look anything like that in real life. I loved the Joker and kind of felt like he was a bad guy you get behind. Even though he was killing people, he did it in a clever and funny way, which made it seem not so bad. All in all, I don't think that the movie was as great as everyone says, but it was a great movie nonetheless. The story flowed pretty well for me, I felt entertained for all 2 & 1/2 hours, and the acting was believable. And again, Christian Bale in a suit is always a treat for me. I would rate the movie an 8.5/10

Olympics......... again
I just have to comment on the 4x100 meter race that the men's swimming team won last night. It's moments like that that make you want to jump up and scream for our country. The commentators kept talking about how the Americans had no chance of winning, so I wasn't expecting the race that I saw. When the 4th U.S. racer dove in, he didn't seem to have any chance of catching the Frenchie. But then, as if by some miracle in the last 5 feet, he was suddenly ahead of the guy and they announced that the US had won! I felt a rush of excitement and a national sense of pride that I didn't know I had.

I tried to explain to Mau that when you live in the States, you just expect that the U.S. will win the gold medal. I know that when I was younger and watching the Olympics, that's what I thought. Since he's from Costa Rica, he sees things from a totally different point of view. Costa Rica had two swimmers that won a total of 4 medals in the Olympics, but they were the exception. Noone else from Costa Rica has ever won and Olympic medal. But....the benefit of living in a country where noone wins medals is that you don't have to be that good to go to the Olympics. If you're a citizen and you can participate in a sport fairly well, AND you can pay your way, then you can go to the Olympics to represent Costa Rica. If it's always been your dream to be in the Olympic games, consider immigrating to Costa Rica. Opportunity awaits.

No comments: